history [edit ]
After the english colonies in North America had established their independence, Bermuda was developed as a major british naval base to control the ocean lanes to North America. The Dockyard construction started in 1809 and continued for a century. [ 1 ] Buildings of the Keep were constructed using the local limestone. workplace was done initially by slaves, later by convicts, prisoners, and laborers imported from the West Indies. The dockyard closed in the late fifties, and buildings started to fall into disrepair. In 1974 the Bermuda Maritime Museum took over the site of the Keep and restoration began. [ 2 ] The museum changed its name in 2009 to reflect its broader national focus ; this name change was formalised in 2013 after an amendment was made to the Museum ‘s Act. [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ]
Buildings [edit ]
scene from the Commissioner ‘s House over the Keep Yard towards the 1850 Ordnance House and the introduction of the museum A showroom The 10-acre ( 40,000 m2 ) Keep of the dockyard was its bastion and arsenal and protected it against electric potential attacks from land or sea. [ 1 ] Defenses include bastions “ A ” to “ G ”, ramparts and casemats, equipped with numerous guns including now displayed 24-pounder and 32-pounder carronades, 6-inch shell guns and 8-inch ( 200 millimeter ) magazine breech-loading guns. The Keep Yard is surrounded on three sides by buildings and magazines ; the one-fourth side is the location of a statue of Neptune. The 1837 Shifting House once stored muskets and gunpowder. Among the storehouse facilities are the 1850 Ordnance Building that stored 4,860 kegs of gunpowder on a floor of non-sparking bitumen, the 1852 Ordnance House, and the 1853/1890 Ordnance House. [ 1 ] The 1870 High Cave magazine is located above a now flooded cave. The Commissioner ‘s House takes a control place at the plaza of the Keep. Designed by Edward Holl, it was erected within five years in the 1820s as the earth ‘s first residence using prefabricated cast-iron for its structural framework. [ 1 ] [ 5 ] It decayed after the deviation of the british, but after the museum took control in 1974, it has been restored over a period of 25 years .
Exhibits [edit ]
The Commissioner ‘s House is used to display a issue of exhibitions. The basement shows Bermuda’s Defense Heritage, a display about Bermuda ‘s defenses and fortifications and the role of local forces in World War I and World War II. The pillared hall is site of a two-storey History of Bermuda mural by the bermudan artist Graham Foster. The independent floor has a act of themes related to Bermuda ‘s history including bondage, immigration, and tourism. One room is dedicated to the history of the Bermuda Race. The upper shock contains collections of maps, books, coins, nautical art, and exhibits concerning activities of the Royal Navy and the US Forces, specifically during World War II. other buildings show shipwreck artifacts, local vessel, or are under renovation ( 2009 ). [ 1 ] The High Cave cartridge holder displays artifacts relating to prisoners from the Boer Wars, and World Wars I and II. [ 6 ]
A small build up, the Dainty/ 1906 RA Store, shows yacht Dainty, once a local player of the Bermuda Race, that was built more than a century ago and at least three-times restored. [ 7 ] The Keep Pond once used to transport ammunition from outside anchored ships to the fortress is immediately home of the Dolphin Quest, a plaza where visitors can interact with dolphins. [ 8 ]
view of the Museum, the former Keep, with the Commissioner ‘s House on the correct, from the dockyard harbor
film [edit ]
The 1850 Ordnance Building inside, besides called the Queen ‘s Exhibition Hall, appeared as the fabricated ‘Hamilton Library ‘ in the 1977 gamble movie The Deep. [ 9 ] The view, starring Jacqueline Bisset and Nick Nolte, was filmed in October 1976, [ 9 ] at the localization of the real Tucker Cross crime scene. The emerald-studded 22 karat gold cross had been discovered stolen when Queen Elizabeth II came to name the construct on February 17, 1975. [ 9 ] bermudan internet explorer, Teddy Tucker, appears in cameo during the film.
See besides [edit ]
References [edit ]